Medical assistants receive specialized training at Alaska medical assistant schools to perform their duties. Some of the courses they take are medical office procedures in order to learn patient records, scheduling, transcription, and coding and billing. Clinical courses may include x-ray, ultrasound, phlebotomy, taking vitals, and using other diagnostic equipment.
Medical assistants can earn a certificate or diploma as a medical assistant or in a specialized field to gain an entry-level position. Those who complete an associate’s or bachelor’s degree have more opportunities and earn higher salaries.
About Medical Assistant Careers in Alaska
Alaska medical assistants have become invaluable to physicians in offices, clinics, and hospitals after proper training at one of Alaska’s medical assistant schools. Medical assistants are trained to perform administrative tasks such as scheduling patient appointments, maintaining patient files, and preparing invoices for insurance companies. Clinical duties include taking vital signs, medical histories, blood samples, preparing patients for exams, and administering medications under a doctor’s directions.
Medical assistants may choose to specialize in any of the administrative or clinical skills.
The job outlook for medical assistants in the nation is better than most professions over the next ten years. The need for medical assistants will grow by 35%. The average salary for Alaska medical assistants is $37,750.
Financial Aid in Alaska
There are several scholarships available to Alaska residents who attend Alaskan colleges and universities. Scholarships are financial aid that are never repaid. Two of Alaska’s scholarships are:
- GEAR UP Alaska Scholarship awards $7,000 per year to full-time students enrolled in college or university and $3,500 per year for part-time students. Students who maintained academic excellence in the GEAR UP program during grades 6, 7, and 8 are eligible.
- The AlaskaAdvantage Education Grant Program is provided for students who are enrolled in qualifying workforce shortage programs and for students who have a high score on the SAT or ACT.
(Figures courtesy of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Employment & Wages database.)
Alaska Medical Assistant Schools Enrolling Now
Charter College is a private, independent institution of higher education that follows a new direction. Charter College is neither a liberal arts college, a university, nor a vocational school. Instead, Charter College borrows certain elements from each of those respected educational institutions to create a unique and innovative experience for our students.
We offer career training programs in the growing fields of health care, business, law, criminal justice, information technology, and select trade careers. We strive to provide our students with a career-focused education that is both relevant in today’s workspace and cutting-edge in technology and focus.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
- Keiser University eCampus Online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Arts in Health Services Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Health Services Administration
Also be sure to see: