Online medical assistant programs are a more flexible, lower-cost alternative to traditional, campus-based medical assistant programs. Online medical assistant programs typically offer the same course content as campus-based programs, with the added advantages of flexible scheduling, self-paced learning, and usually a lower cost.
How Online Medical Assistant Schools Work
Rather than providing educational content through lectures, online medical assistant programs provide content to students in electronic form. Courses in an online medical assistant training program are still taught by a professor, however students learn remotely using online tools, portals, email and other communication methods.
There are a few different ways in which an online school can work:
Self-Paced Online Learning – In most cases, students log into the school’s online learning portal according to their own schedules. There they complete reading assignments and other assignments provided by the instructor, turning in completed assignments by the due date. These programs may work similarly to online communities such as Facebook. For example, students may watch video of the professor’s lecture, leave comments on a comment board, and post assignments to a forum or send them through email. An example of this style of online learning is Aplia, an online education portal used by many schools.
Group Online Learning – In other cases, online classes work more like traditional classes, with students and professor logging in together to move through course content online. In these cases, coursework is sent to all students simultaneously through email or a class bulletin board. The professor lectures or assigns reading, and students ask questions via chat. This method is sometimes used in conjunction with a live class, such as when there are more students than seats in the lecture hall.
Benefits of Online Medical Assistant Programs
Medical assistant online programs and schools have several advantages over regular, campus-based programs:
- Flexibility – Most online medical assistant programs have flexible schedules. Students go over class materials at any time available to them, and assignments are handed in at any time before a set deadline.
- Self-paced learning – Students of online programs may learn at their own pace, taking as much or as little time as they need. This is helpful if a subject is particularly challenging or complex.
- Access – Online programs can be accessed at home, at a coffee shop, or anywhere the Internet is available. This is especially beneficial to students with families, students in the military, and those who travel frequently.
- Affordability – Online schools are also typically more affordable than traditional schools. Since schools saves money by not using a building, they usually offer online courses at a reduced cost. Once the costs of physically attending a school are also factored in, such as commuting costs, parking, and campus food, long-term savings can be significant.
Online Medical Assistant Program Requirements
Similar to traditional schools, online medical assistant schools require a high school diploma or a GED. Experience with computers and the Internet is helpful, though not crucial as many online schools offer tutorial to teach students how to use the school’s online resources. As with traditional programs, an educational background in science and health is also helpful.
Further requirements may depend on the specific program in question. For example, a certificate program may require prior college experience, while a diploma program may not.
School representatives generally explain all requirements for both offline and online training programs.
How to Choose an Online Medical Assistant Program
There are a few factors students should consider when choosing an online school. Accreditation is important, as well as the school’s online learning style, and program costs.
Like traditional programs, online medical assistant schools are accredited by a recognized accrediting agency such as the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Higher Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). This is an especially important prerequisite if you would like to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA).
Asking school representatives about their online learning styles can also shed light on program strengths and weaknesses. Here are some examples of questions that might help students understand an online school’s learning style:
- Are class schedules determined in advance, or do students self-schedule?
- What are online class sizes like?
- Are online classes offered as alternatives to traditional classes, or is the school entirely online?
- How are online class fees structured?
- Does the school use its own online learning portal, or a third-party portal (such as Aplia)?
Other questions may arise as the conversation develops.
Online Medical Assistant Programs Enrolling Now
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job
Carrington College Online
Welcome to Carrington College – The Starting Point for Health Care Careers.
With roots that date back more than 45 years, Carrington College has helped to shape the careers of tens of thousands of students as they prepare to enter health care professions. Part of DeVry Education Group, Carrington College operates 18 campuses across 8 Western states through a broad range of programs that lead to certificates of achievement or associate degrees in medical, dental, administrative and veterinary fields.
Carrington College’s career-focused curriculum is designed to prepare students for entry level positions in their fields of study. Along with academic preparation and skills training, Carrington College students gain core institutional student learning outcomes in critical thinking, information management, and technical literacy. But it doesn’t end there. Personal and professional development, communication skills, respect, and responsibility are also emphasized throughout their education at Carrington College.
Students, faculty, and administrative staff at Carrington College are encouraged to pursue and achieve their highest potential. We strive for excellence and quality in everything we do and instill in our students the same aspirations. In doing so, we’re confident that our graduates will be prepared to begin working in the health care field and ready to meet the needs of patients.
Keiser University eCampus Online
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online? Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
From admissions to faculty, our staff is dedicated to student care:
- One-class-at-a-time scheduling. Instead of juggling multiple assignments and exams, take one class for four weeks before moving on.
- Small classes with accessible staff and faculty that foster a student-centered learning community
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology and user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources that include information and access to all student services
- Financial aid and scholarships are available for those who qualify
- Military friendly. Keiser University offers scholarships to qualified veterans, active-duty military personnel and their dependents. Keiser is a Yellow Ribbon Program participant and approved for veterans training.
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and a valued choice for career-motivated students. Keiser University Online offers degrees in fields that are in demand and provides job placement assistance to its students and alumni. We research trends for growing fields and tailor our curriculum to prepare students for entry and advancement to rewarding careers.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
Ultimate Medical Academy
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school-and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.