Online medical assistant programs are a more flexible, lower-cost alternative to traditional, campus-based medical assistant programs. Online medical assistant programs typically offer the same course content as campus-based programs, with the added advantages of flexible scheduling, self-paced learning, and usually a lower cost.
How Online Medical Assistant Schools Work
Rather than providing educational content through lectures, online medical assistant programs provide content to students in electronic form. Courses in an online medical assistant training program are still taught by a professor, however students learn remotely using online tools, portals, email and other communication methods.
There are a few different ways in which an online school can work:
Self-Paced Online Learning – In most cases, students log into the school’s online learning portal according to their own schedules. There they complete reading assignments and other assignments provided by the instructor, turning in completed assignments by the due date. These programs may work similarly to online communities such as Facebook. For example, students may watch video of the professor’s lecture, leave comments on a comment board, and post assignments to a forum or send them through email. An example of this style of online learning is Aplia, an online education portal used by many schools.
Group Online Learning – In other cases, online classes work more like traditional classes, with students and professor logging in together to move through course content online. In these cases, coursework is sent to all students simultaneously through email or a class bulletin board. The professor lectures or assigns reading, and students ask questions via chat. This method is sometimes used in conjunction with a live class, such as when there are more students than seats in the lecture hall.
Benefits of Online Medical Assistant Programs
Medical assistant online programs and schools have several advantages over regular, campus-based programs:
- Flexibility – Most online medical assistant programs have flexible schedules. Students go over class materials at any time available to them, and assignments are handed in at any time before a set deadline.
- Self-paced learning – Students of online programs may learn at their own pace, taking as much or as little time as they need. This is helpful if a subject is particularly challenging or complex.
- Access – Online programs can be accessed at home, at a coffee shop, or anywhere the Internet is available. This is especially beneficial to students with families, students in the military, and those who travel frequently.
- Affordability – Online schools are also typically more affordable than traditional schools. Since schools saves money by not using a building, they usually offer online courses at a reduced cost. Once the costs of physically attending a school are also factored in, such as commuting costs, parking, and campus food, long-term savings can be significant.
Online Medical Assistant Program Requirements
Similar to traditional schools, online medical assistant schools require a high school diploma or a GED. Experience with computers and the Internet is helpful, though not crucial as many online schools offer tutorial to teach students how to use the school’s online resources. As with traditional programs, an educational background in science and health is also helpful.
Further requirements may depend on the specific program in question. For example, a certificate program may require prior college experience, while a diploma program may not.
School representatives generally explain all requirements for both offline and online training programs.
How to Choose an Online Medical Assistant Program
There are a few factors students should consider when choosing an online school. Accreditation is important, as well as the school’s online learning style, and program costs.
Like traditional programs, online medical assistant schools are accredited by a recognized accrediting agency such as the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Higher Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). This is an especially important prerequisite if you would like to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA).
Asking school representatives about their online learning styles can also shed light on program strengths and weaknesses. Here are some examples of questions that might help students understand an online school’s learning style:
- Are class schedules determined in advance, or do students self-schedule?
- What are online class sizes like?
- Are online classes offered as alternatives to traditional classes, or is the school entirely online?
- How are online class fees structured?
- Does the school use its own online learning portal, or a third-party portal (such as Aplia)?
Other questions may arise as the conversation develops.
Online Medical Assistant Programs Enrolling Now
Keiser University eCampus Online
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
Why Keiser University Online
Online Convenience to Help You Achieve Your Goals
From faculty to admissions, our staff is dedicated to your success.
- Accessible faculty and staff with small classes to ensure personalized attention for each student
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology in a user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources with access to all student services, including registration, instructional materials and an online library system with a wide range of academic journals, e-books, streaming videos, print titles and research databases
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools1
- Financial aid and scholarships available for those who qualify
- Military-friendly and committed to serving active members of the military, veterans and their families, with scholarships available for those who qualify.
- Approved for veterans training
- Transfer credits accepted subject to university approval
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and is a valued choice for career-motivated students. We offer associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in fields that are in demand, and we provide job placement assistance to students and alumni.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
1 Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
Blue Cliff College
Online programs to fit your schedule.
You’ve expressed interest in Blue Cliff College before, now we have online programs to better fit your busy lifestyle. Enroll now!
Reasons to attend Blue Cliff College Online:
Programs – We have the career-focused educational programs you need to get started in a career you’ll love.
Career Services – Students at Blue Cliff College are eligible for Blue Cliff’s outstanding career services assistance. We’re committed to getting you on the road to career success.
Educators – Our instructors include career professionals who provide real-world training to our students. You’ll learn from people who work in the career of your dreams.
Freedom – With an education from Blue Cliff in the career you’ve dreamed of, you’ll be on your way to career freedom – why not get started now?
Career Step, a leading online school, focuses on helping students quickly gain the career skills they need to succeed in rapidly growing industries. With 20 years of experience, the school has trained over 70,000 students in the United States and internationally and offers programs in the allied health, administrative services, and technology industries. Career Step’s training programs are offered entirely online, and the school is committed to helping each enrolling student graduate and successfully transition to a rewarding career.
Career Step training offers you the following benefits:
- Affordably priced programs that prepare you to earn a good living
- Flexible online training that lets you learn on your schedule
- One-on-one instructor access throughout the course
- Graduate resources to help you turn your education into a job